Monday, February 14, 2011

Lady in the Mist: My Review

Lady in the Mist: A Novel (The Midwives)

About the Book:  
By virtue of her profession as a midwife, Tabitha Eckles is the keeper of many secrets: the names of fathers of illegitimate children, the level of love and harmony within many a marriage, and now the identity of a man who may have caused his wife's death. Dominick Cherrett is a man with his own secret to keep: namely, what he, a British nobleman, is doing on American soil working as a bondsman in the home of Mayor Kendall, a Southern gentleman with his eye on a higher office.

By chance one morning before the dawn has broken, Tabitha and Dominick cross paths on a misty beachhead, leading them on a twisted path through kidnappings, death threats, public disgrace, and . . . love? Can Tabitha trust Dominick? What might he be hiding? And can either of them find true love in a world that seems set against them?

With stirring writing that puts readers directly into the story, Lady in the Mist expertly explores themes of identity, misperception, and love's discovery.

My Comments:
I mentioned some time ago that I was thinking of a new rating system involving how long the books keep me on the treadmill.  Well, I haven't figured out the particulars of that system, but I will say that I stayed on the treadmill 30 minutes on three different days to read this book, and 30 minutes is my daily minimum.  Then I found myself making excuses not to go in there, and the fact of the matter was, that by page 120 I really didn't have any great desire to finish reading the book.  I can't really pinpoint what's  wrong with it except that it didn't grab me.  The author, Laurie Alice Eakes does a good job describing the setting and social interactions between the classes during that period in the early 1800's.  It is definitely faith-based fiction, but I've read and enjoyed much more religious books than this.  In short, I'm not saying this isn't a book for anyone; rather, it wasn't the book for me.

1 comment:


View My Stats