Monday, November 22, 2010

Advent for Families with Children

As you'll note from the sticky post at top of the blog, I am participating in the Catholic New Media Advent Calendar again this year.  If you are a blogger, I'm sure they'd love to have you link to them.

This list of links started several years ago when I was teaching third grade religion.  I've updated it yearly, and I'll admit I keep doing it because I always get lots of hits, so if you aren't a regular reader, welcome.  If you are a blogger, please consider joining us weekly for Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival.  It is a meme I host that allows Catholic bloggers to share posts with each other.

One place to find activities appropriate for children/youth is from religion book publishers:
Sadlier has activities at many age levels.

The most known symbol of Advent is the Advent Wreath.  First School has a version even the little ones can make.  Amazing Moms gives you a ritual to follow, if you desire, along with directions on how to make a wreath. Domestic Church tells you how to make a fresh wreath.

Kids remember things associated with food--Thanksgiving turkey, Easter eggs, Christmas cookies, so how about some Advent food?  Catholic Cuisine has all sorts of things to try.

I'm not the only one to collect links.  For other link lists, see Catholic Mom or another page from Catholic Mom.  Catholic Culture has more activities than anyone could do in a year.  Elena at My Domestic Church has a long list of links too.

One thing we do yearly is the Jesse Tree.  The Diocese of Erie has nice downloadable ornaments.  These are pretty too.

Prayer is an important part of Advent.  The Passionists have these prayers for kids.  Catholic Mom has activities that correlate with the liturgy.

Holy Heroes will send your children a daily email during Advent.

Joy to the World: Advent Activities for Your Family  Finally, if you want to spring for a few dollars, Joy to the World: Advent Activities for Your Family will not only give you more activities than you have time to do, it will give you a concrete framework to follow with your family during Advent.  You can read a full review here, and read the first chapter here.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I made the links! Thanks for this, Ruth. I remember seeing it last year; this is a terrific clearinghouse, and I'm honored to be listed on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:28 AM

    Thanks for the links to all the great sites. God Bless your Advent!
    ~ William O'Leary

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats