Sunday, July 11, 2010

Catholic Company Book Review: The Catholic Prayer Book

Well, I found a keeper, a book that won't head for the discard stack where most of my books, no matter how much I like them, eventually land.  This book has something of enduring value, something to make it worthy of a permanent place in my home.  The Catholic Prayer Book--Large Print Edition is a 350 page compilation of of old and new Catholic prayers--though new is a relative term since the book was written in 1984 so the section on the rosary does not include the Luminous Mysteries.

The book is divided into major section on "The Christian Vocation", "The Sacraments", and "Prayer".  The "Christian Vocation" section is 60 pages long and includes prayers to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, including a selection of Psalms and The Way of the Cross.  The "Sacraments" section has prayers for Baptism, Eucharist and Reconciliation, including the Eucharistic Prayers from the Mass, Prayers before the Blessed Sacrament and Psalms to pray before the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  The "Prayer" section includes many of the traditional memorized prayers as well prayers from the Roman Missal and prayers to the Blessed Mother.

If I have anything bad to say about the book, it is that I didn't find the layout of the book to be that pleasing.  I may be the large type, or the absence of pictures, I'm not sure.  It wasn't awful, I just didn't love it.  Also, the book uses English spelling rather than American.

If you are looking for a prayer book steeped the Catholic tradition, I'd highly recommend The Catholic Prayer Book and I'd like to thank The Catholic Company for providing a complimentary review copy.

Grade:  A
CymLowell

4 comments:

  1. always love finding that rare title to keep on hand.
    I have read a few books in large type; it is distracting

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Bible is in large type and I really like it--but the layout is traditonal two column and it looks like an average Bible except for the type size, which has the effect of slowing me down; which with a Bible or prayer book is a good thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. At my age large print is welcome! Lol. You certainly got diverse books. Have a great week, happy reading and enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. large print is nice as one gets older...but the lack of the Luminous Mysteries at this point is an issue I think.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats