Saturday, May 23, 2009

Faith n Fiction Saturday



This week, Amy asks:
A lot of us are reviewers which means we consume books at a rate that blows the minds of others. As a result, we might start seeing the same thing over. and over. and over.

What are some cliched phrases or plot devices in Christian fiction that you'd like to see go?

My Answer:

That's easy. I'm tired of seeing main characters who are not Christians being depicted as people who are unhappy or troubled in this world, and then, once they become Christians, they become happy pleasant people--and able to love and be loved by the other partner in the romance. Jesus didn't promise us happiness in this world--look what happened to him and to His apostles.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Excellent observation and answer! Sooooo true. I know LOTS of people, non-believers who are wonderful, happy, well-adjusted individuals with more smiles on thier faces than many "long-faced" and long-suffering peeps who "call themselves" Christians.

    I got my response up also.

    The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "From silly devotions and sour-faced saints, good Lord, deliver us."
      St. Teresa of Avila.
      I always want to ask these sour-pusses why they go around looking as though they do not expect to go to Heaven!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true. I know being a Christian hasn't made my life a bed of roses. Here is mine Enough already

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found that my life as a Christian (Catholic, to be specific) IS a bed of roses, with flowers, fragrance, and thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this today on RAnn's blog, and I didn't realize until I posted two comments that this is an OLD post. (But I'm glad I saw it!)

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats