Friday, March 06, 2009

Good Material; Fair Animation


Thanks to Thomas Nelson's Book Blogger Program, my little one received a DVD of Bible Stories. The stories include the annunciation, the nativity, the birth of John the Baptist, the baptism of Jesus, the feeding of the 5,000, Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, Jacob and Esau, and more. While the characters did not directly quote scripture, the paraphrase was generally close enough to be familiar and there was not a lot of extraneous material in the stories. For example, no one told Mary or Elizabeth that her baby was cute.


I realized when I requested the DVD that this wasn't likely to be a high-budget Disney-like presentation. However, even given that lack of expectation, I found some of the animation jerky and not well-coordinated with the sound. However, even though they were relatively simple, I think the illustrations did a good job of tellig the story being narrated.


Of course with a cartoon presentation like this, Mom's opinion is only part of the equation. The intended audience is somewhat younger than I am, so I am please to report that my four year old likes the DVD and has requested it several times. I guess it succeeded at its mission.


Since the DVD sticks pretty much to scripture to tell the story, rather than interpreting it, I didn't see anything that should give a Catholic parent pause; though the publisher is not Catholic. Thomas Nelson's product page is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats