Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cute Video


Thanks to the Thomas Nelson review program, my youngest has a new video to enjoy. Skeeter and the Mystery of the Lost Mosquito Treasure is a Max Lucado feature based on Psalm 139:13-14 which says "13 You formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you, so wonderfully you made me; wonderful are your works!" (NAB).

The video starts with Lucado talking to Hermie, a caterpillar, about his (Lucado's) big nose and how he wishes it was smaller. He feels sure everyone notices his huge nose. Hermie tells him that maybe they are looking at Lucado's wonderful earlobes instead. Then the show starts. The cartoon part of the show is about two brothers, Skeeter and Sinclair, who are both mosquitoes. Sinclair is world famous and is costumed a la "Raiders of the Lost Ark". He is a world traveler and adventurer. He is returning to his hometown to give a talk and all the ladies are crazy about him. In his hometown lives his brother, Skeeter, who has a crooked stinger--but an excellent sense of smell. Skeeter is klutzy and has an awful sense of direction. He is envious of his brother.

SPOILER ALERT!!!! (In case any pre-schoolers are reading this)

When Sinclair returns the two brothers head off on a hunt for a treasure their father left them. During the course of the quest we discover Sinclair's secret--he can't fly. Working together the two brothers find the treasure--and they need both Sinclair's straight singer and Skeeter's crooked one to open it. The treasure is a letter from their dad telling them he loved them both just the way they were--and a box of their favorite treats.

My four year old liked the movie, but didn't understand the point it was trying to make. My thirteen year old said it was one of the dumber movies she's seen (she was in the room playing on the computer while her sister and I were screening the movie). I thought it was cute and the pre-show with Max Lucado reminded me of Mr. Rogers talking to the puppets in his house before going to the Land of Make-Believe. Given the opinions of the females in my house, I'd say the movie would be great for kids from about 4-8; and definitely not right for a 13 year old.

Here is Thomas Nelson's page on the video.

1 comment:


View My Stats