Monday, September 15, 2008

It's All About Us: I hope its not about my kids

I'm a middle-aged mom, not a teen, so maybe I should have passed on It's All About Us but I'm the mom of a teen girl and I can enjoy many of the books she brings home so I thought I'd give it a try. I hated it. It is the story of teens who attend an exclusive boarding school in California. The main characters are new kids in school that year--the daughter of a famous movie director and a girl from New York (the school is in California) who is there on a music scholarship. These girls are Christian; most of the other kids aren't. The book, what I read of it, is about their efforts to live Christian lives while still fitting in at the school. The writing style was short and choppy, with lots of use of incomplete sentences. IMs and emails were printed. The book basically made the in-crowd look like the sterotypical in-crowd in books about high school--beautiful, bitchy and brainless. I reminded me of those stupid shows my kids watch on Saturday morning. Hopefully their target audience likes the book more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats