Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Along Came a Cowboy Review

Romance novels are great if you are in that mood. You know the plot before you ever open the book--boy meets (or sometimes re-meets) girl, there is a spark there, but something keeps them apart. They spend the book fighting against that something, which is often themselves, and in the end, they live happily ever after. Along Came a Cowboy is a romance novel, of the Christian variety. The something that keeps the couple apart is her past and her guilt and shame over a sin in her past.

This is a clean romance--the kisses are few and not described in infinite detail. The fact that the characters pray is mentioned but this isn't one of those boy meets girl, and one of them has to find God before they can live happily ever after books either. We aren't treated to any sermons or long conversations between characters trying save souls either, and for that I'm grateful. I rather see characters live their faith--or struggle with it internally--than to be preached to.

All in all, I liked the book. It was pool read, not anything serious at all, but fun--and despite what my kids' summer reading assignments are like, I think summer reading should be fun.

Click the First Wildcard link on my sidebar to read the first chapter. I'd have it here, but the code wasn't up when we left for vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats